Commercial Vehicle Licensing Requirements

Truckers, public livery, and freight forwarders all have some form of governmental licensing requirements. This short description gives just a basic guideline. For proper licensing please contact the appropriate agency or contact Western Truck Insurance for assistance.

Interstate Truckers

Truckers, hauling for hire with interstate travel, are required to apply for a permit with the DOT/FMCSA. In doing so, you will also need the information on the interstate registration of your vehicles (IFTA, IRP).

Intrastate Truckers

Truckers, hauling for hire with intrastate travel, are required to apply for a permit with their respective State. Each state has its’ own unique criteria, however, most states have adopted the Federal guidelines as respect to insurance issues. The states are required only to monitor the safety and insurance aspects of the trucking business; not the rates. Household good movers rates, however, are still regulated

Obviously, for truckers doing both interstate and intrastate shipments, a state and federal permit would be needed.

Public Livery Operators

Public livery operators (taxi,limousine and bus) are regulated in the same fashion as truckers above. They are treated differently, however, and are under more scrutiny than their trucking counterparts. They have higher requirements for auto liability than the truckers do.

Freight Forwarders

Freight Forwarders (NVOCC, Custom House Brokers, forwarders) have a requirement to obtain a freight forwarder permit from the DOT/FMCSA if they are moving freight interstate or internationally. Various bonds may be required depending on what activities are being performed.